Local autonomy is the cornerstone of democracy and also a main goal of the National Father, Dr. Sun Yat-sen while fighting a revolution to establish the country. On April 3, 2009, the Legislative Yuan approved Local Government Act amendments. According to Paragraph 2 of Article 7-1 of the amendments, Taichung County and Taichung City were consolidated to become one municipality. The County Government and City Government worked together to draft the restructuring plan. With approval from the County Council and City Council, the restructuring effective date was announced to be December 25, 2010 and the first mayor of Taichung City and councilors of the first-term of Taichung City Council after the consolidation were elected on November 27, 2010.
History of Former Taichung City Council
During the early stage after retrocession of Taiwan, the Government promoted local autonomy to pave the way for democracy. Taichung City elected its councilmen on March 29, 1946, according to the County and City Council Organization Ordinance promulgated by the Central Government and the Taichung City Council was formed on April 8 of the same year. As Taiwan started to practice county and city local autonomy on April 22, 1950 with various public servants elected, the Council also became officially operative on October 16 of the same year.
History of Former Taichung County Council
Establishment of the Council followed the Guidance for Implementation of Local Autonomy in the Province of Taiwan”“County and City Organizational Rules for the Province of Taiwan”, and “County and City Councilors Dismissal Rules for the Province of Taiwan” promulgated on April 24, 1950 and elected the first intake of county councilmen on January 21, 1951. The commissioning ceremony was held in the auditorium of the Taichung City Government on February 14. In the beginning of the relocation, the Council did not have appropriate offices and hence councilors worked at the old site at No. 4, Minsheng Road in Taichung City (Datun District Office). The annual general assembly, on the other hand, took place in the auditorium of the Taichung County Government. On August 24, 1954, the Council moved from Taichung back to Zhongshan Hall in Fengyuan (site of the old earthquake education house) where the councilors worked and had meetings. After the new building on Zhongzheng Road was completed on October 11, 1960 at a cost of NT$2.65 million, the fourth intake of councilors started to have an official site for administration and assembly.
After more than 40 years of local autonomy, education became popular; people had increased intelligence; industries and business advanced with multiple economic miracles accomplished; and the political environment developed toward democracy, councils became the cornerstones of local autonomy. In addition, flourishing metropolitan developments had turned part of the original site of the Council into roads and further squeezed the room for administration and assembly. To meet the demand, the 2nd general assembly of the 10th intake and the 2nd ad hoc meeting of the 11th intake initiated relocation of the Council to Yuanhuan South Road where the magnificent arena of the highest public body in the County was built and the Council was given a brand new look.